Kenneth

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:23:23 GMT, "Richard"
> wrote:

>Howdy. First time poster here. I watched Alone in the Wilderness on PBS a
>few too many times and decided to try some sourdough. I got some of Carl's
>awhile back and followed the directions very well. (I think) I got it going
>good and thought it time to discard half due to the quantity. I dried some
>for future use hoping to keep the original from straying into some Seattle
>variety.
>
>I added more flour and water to the starter that I had going. Nothing
>happened after that. It's been 3 days of stiring on occassion. Temps in the
>mid 70's. Smells sour and tastes really, really sour. No rise or any bubbles
>at all.
>
>I then started some of the dried that I had saved and it has done nothing at
>all either.
>
>Is it dead? Can it be saved? I would have tried from scratch but the point
>of trying Carl's was the historical factor.
>
>Thanks for any help
>Richard
>
>P.S. I crash computers and kill house plants too if that helps with the
>diagnosis.

Hi Richard,

The fact that it smells and tastes sour causes this
question:

Had you been watching it over parts of those three days?
That is, might it have risen up, then fallen back without
your having noticed?

That might explain your situation...

All the best,

--