Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 12:23:35p, Vox Humana tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> You might try the "Smart Balance" product that is sold alongside the
> shorting at the supermarket. I comes in a green can but isn't "Crisco." I
> have used it for baking and it works well - even for pie pastry.
> http://www.smartbalance.com/

We use the Smart Balance "margarine", but I didn't know they made a product
you could bake with. I'll give a look.

> Also, you might try using oil in your favorite cake recipe. As I recall,
> oil has about 20% more shortening ability than butter, so you might have to
> reduce the amount of oil a bit when making the substitution. I often use
> Canola oil when making bread when the recipe calls for butter.

It never occurred to me to make the substitution. I was afraid it would be a
disaster. It's certainly worth a try.

I do make the Hershey's recipe for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake, which
call for oil and for dry cocoa powder. It makes a rather a good cake.

> Here is a like to the Crisco page that has a yellow cake recipe with oil:
> http://www.crisco.com/scripts/displa...cipe_nbr=22731

That looks pretty good. I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Vox...

Wayne