Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 10:40:55a, "." tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 20 Jan 2005 05:13:28a, The Cook tittered and giggled, and
>> giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>> > Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
>> > fats.
>> > The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

>> No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
>> quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
>> butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

> My father had major heart and artery surgery a year ago. The basic rule
> of thumb was, "if it is solid at room temperature don't use it." This
> means no butter, no shortening, etc.

That's also what we were told. In fact, my parents were told that many
years ago when my dad was diagnosed with arterial blockage.

> You have to be careful when you see people advertising things like "No
> Trans Fats". This is just one thing that might affect coronary disease.
> A lot of times manufacturers will eliminate one element that is bad for
> someone with coronary disease and add a tonne of something else (e.g.
> SnackWell cookies are fat free but way too much sodium).

Yes, true. That's why I bake almost everything at home. Then I know what
it contains.

>> Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for
>> other things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is
>> also not hydrogenated.

> If the new Crisco is solid at room temperature then I'd avoid it.

Good point.

Thanks,
Wayne