.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 20 Jan 2005 05:13:28a, The Cook tittered and giggled, and giggled
> and tittered, and finally blurted out...
>
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >>Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of solid
> >>shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.
> >>
> >>I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>
> >>Wayne

> > Do you have a problem with butter. It has no trans or hydrogenated
> > fats. The new Crisco in the green container has no trans fats either.

> No, I love butter and I do use it. However, my partner has undergone
> quadruple heart bypass surgery and his cariologist has stipulated no
> butter, as well as no hydrogenated or trans fats.

My father had major heart and artery surgery a year ago. The basic rule of
thumb was, "if it is solid at room temperature don't use it." This means
no butter, no shortening, etc.

You have to be careful when you see people advertising things like "No
Trans Fats". This is just one thing that might affect coronary disease. A
lot of times manufacturers will eliminate one element that is bad for
someone with coronary disease and add a tonne of something else (e.g.
SnackWell cookies are fat free but way too much sodium).

> Say, I didn't know about the new Crisco. I will give that a try for other
> things, but I need to stick to using oil unless the new Crisco is also not
> hydrogenated.

If the new Crisco is solid at room temperature then I'd avoid it.