Gunther Anderson

Skinny wrote:

> Since I'm on a diabetic diet (low-carb), my interest is to try to ferment
> some of the 'sugar' in the fruit, while keeping the fruit's natural taste
> and texture. Adding alcohol is ok, as it's less of a problem than 'sugar'.
>
> Any ideas on that? Can it be done by using wine or rum or such as a starter?

Shouldn't be possible, near as I can tell. Fermentation (conversion of
sugar to alcohol) is the exclusive province of yeasts, and you'd have to
find a way to get the yeasts all through your fruit without destroying
it in the process. Wine is what you get when you do destroy the fruit.
Without crushing the fruit, your yeasts are going to be at best able
to scrounge a few sugar molecules off the exposed surfaces. Maybe that
process would chew up that surface enough to let the yeasts further in,
but your fruit will turn to mush.

Now's the time to get into genetic engineering, and see if you can
develop a fruit that stores its sugars as sucralose instead of fructose...

You can make low-carb (but not carb-free) liqueurs, I expect, by using
regular fruit but using sucralose (Splenda) as your sweetening agent.
Then you only get the sugars from the fruit. Should cut your sugar
intake by more than half. It would cut it even more if you used
extracts instead of fruits.

Gunther Anderson