Kenneth

Default All purpose --> bread flour substitution, what to adjust?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:43:49 GMT, Joe B >
wrote:

>I have a dinner roll recipe that calls for about 2 cups of all purpose
>flour. I've made the recipe and like it. I want to try it using
>bread flour instead of all purpose to see if it will be
>heartier/chewier. First question: is this a correct assumption?
>Second question: if I do the substitution, will I need to adjust
>anything else to compensate, like the amount of water or yeast?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Hi Chris,

(At least in the US) flour is not subject to strict grading that
defines the characteristics associated with labels such as "bread
flour" or " all purpose." As a result, (for example) King Arthur All
Purpose is higher in protein than the Bread flour of other millers.

That said, increasing the protein level of the flour you use for the
rolls will make them chewier, but, at the expense of some flavor.
Unless you were doing serious production, it would probably not be
worth making any other changes. You might find that it takes a bit
more water to get the same feel in the dough.

Have fun,

--
Kenneth