Bob

Eve wrote:

> I have a recipe for Pane di Castagne that calls for a small amount of
> chestnut flour. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used this in their
> breads and if there might be a good substitute. I've found online
> sources to buy but it doesn't seem available in my area markets. From
> what I've read it's added to many italian doughs and is sweet. The
> sweet I can duplicate but I'm thinking it's probably necessary to a good
> textured bread.

Chestnut flour is only barely sweet. I'm guessing that its inclusion in the
recipe is for greater tenderness rather than for sweetness. If it's just a
small amount, you could try substituting cornstarch, or maybe cornstarch
with a tiny bit of powdered sugar. Could you please post the recipe, so we
could make better-informed guesses?

Hmmm...now that it's winter, it might be time for that milk-braised pork
with chestnut polenta again...

Bob