Wayne's recommendations for sanitation and preparation are good. Here
are a few variations of my own:

Put a satsuma orange (little, and in season now) in the cavity of each
bird, or else a quarter of a regular navel orange. Squeeze some orange
juice over the top of the birdies, and roast at 350 F for about 1 hour
in the middle of the oven.

I often spread olive oil around the bottom of the roasting pan with 1
clove of garlic.

Make a basting sauce of orange juice and balsamic vinegar, and baste
the hens about four times as they cook. (If these ingredients don't
sound appealing to you, experiment. Orange and soy sauce is a nice
variation Lemon juice and olive oil mingled with pan drippings also
make a nice basting sauce.) Add about 10 minutes of cooking time if you
baste.

bunches of fresh tarragon tucked under the skin is also good. You can
also sprinkle the skin with chopped tarragon leaves and bake. I also
add little white boiling onions to the pan as the birds roast.

Don't tell Dr. Atkins, but sometimes I sprinkle grated parmesan over
the game hen before roasting. It makes the skin extra crisp when the
bird is cooked.

Lingonberry sauce or cranberry sauce is very good with the cooked
birds.

Yes, I eat a lot of game hens. =o) I find them a good value, as I can
get dinner off half a birdie, and eat the other half cold for lunch,
and it's a cheapish, tasty treat.

Melissa