Kenneth

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:57:01 -0500, Tony P.
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> "Harri85274" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have such a recipe? Thanks

>> I just put some peeled cloves of garlic in the water with the potatoes.
>> When the potatoes are done the garlic is soft. I put the drained potatoes
>> and garlic through a ricer or food mill, add warm cream and butter, season
>> with some salt and pepper and serve.
>>
>> You can put the whole head of garlic on a square of foil, drizzle with some
>> oil, and wrap tightly. Bake in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until it
>> is soft. You can then just cut off the root end of the garlic and squeeze
>> the roasted garlic into the potatoes before you mash, rice, or put them
>> through the food mill. This is a more classic approach but requires
>> advanced preparation. Boiling the garlic with the potatoes allows a more
>> impromptu approach and is more energy efficient. Try it both ways and see
>> what you think. Also, try using milk or half and half instead of heavy
>> cream. I also like to substitute sour cream for the sweet cream. If you
>> like olive oil use that instead of the butter. Sometimes I add cream
>> cheese. You can add shredded cheese, herbs, or crumbled bacon. For special
>> occasions you can go wild by adding cream cheese, chives, garlic, shred
>> cheese, butter, and a garnish of bacon.
>>

>Hmmm.. that's a good idea you have there. Never thought to do it that
>way. Instead I chop up the garlic and cook it over very low heat until
>it just gets golden. Reserve, combine with mashed potatoes and the
>flavor is definitely there.

Howdy,

Here's the French approach...

Peel many cloves of garlic (on the order of 5 per person to
be served...!)

Put them in butter over very low heat until the garlic is
extremely soft. Do not allow it to brown.

Add cream and simmer until the garlic falls apart.

Add that mixture to mashed potatoes.

Add Salt & Pepper...

HTH,

--