Jim

Dale Williams wrote:

> Main course was roasted capon with a cognac-mushroom sauce,

accompanied by
> sauteed potatoes as well as red cabbage. We enjoyed some 3 day old

Brunello, as
> well as the 2000 JF Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny. This isn't one of the

light thin
> 2000s, there's good concentration in the bright red fruit, and a nice

earthy
> note. Deep raspberry fruit, just a hint of vanilla/oak, long mineral

finish.
> Drinking well now, but no hurry. A-

Thanks for the notes. I always look forward to reading them because
they're entertaining and, at least from reading them, my palate seems
to be pretty much in tune with yours.

Chambolle is one of my favorite appellations and I like Mugnier's
delightfully transparent style. I've heard good things about but
haven't tried the Ann Gros village Chambolle, but I can't think of
anyone else who approaches Mugnier for the price. If they're out
there, someone please let me know!

Years ago, I picked up a half case of the '90 village Chambolle at the
domaine on a tasting trip. It was that trip (and wine) that got me
hooked on Chambolle.

I recently had his '98 Moose, which is nowhere near ready, but shows in
the nose and the finish that he made a great wine in a difficult
vintage. Your note on a 2000 reminds me how good he can be in less
than heralded vintages.

I've just come across some of his '01 village Chmabolle at a reasonable
price (for Tokyo at least). Any experience with any of his '01s?

Same source also has Bruno Clair's '02 lieu-dit Les Veroilles at a not
too painful price. I really like his (very expensive) Savigny and his
Marsannays, but have no experience with this Chambolle. Any
experience?

Thanks for letting me tap your brain.

Jim