barry

Default Italian 00 Flour

m...

news:<38Fkb.129222$6C4.118269@pd7tw1no>...
> > "drei" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I want to replicate the texture and consistency of real Neapolitan
> > > pizza crust at home by using imported Italian 00 flour. I know that
> > > King Arthur markets something that they say is a good imitation, but
> > > I've read posts that suggest that it's made from a different kind of
> > > wheat and am looking for the real thing.
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a good brand of 00 and tell me how I can obtain
> > > it in the US?

In Jones's book, Pizza Napoletana, she recommends a mix of 5 parts all
purpose to one part cake/pastry flour as being very close to pizza crust in
Naples made from 00 flour.

On the other hand, a friend of mine owned a pizza shop for a couple of years
and made his dough from a mix of General Mills All Trumps and semolina, and
it was really, really good crust.

I've made both doughs and prefer the Jones recipe most of the time, but make
the other one every so often, when I have the time -- it takes two days.

I've heard that flour sold in the southern part of the US is blended to a
softer standard and milled finer than flours in other regions of the US,
because southern cooks make proportionately more pastries, biscuits, scones,
etc. I tried to get some southern flour -- White Lily, etc. -- on my last
trip to Florida, but didn't find any. I have a hunch that the southern
regional flour might be close to Italian 00.

Barry