On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:05:57 GMT, the Gonad wrote:

>formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
>> I believe that existence is a benefit.

>No, it isn't. A benefit is something that makes an
>entity better off; that is, something that improves the
>welfare of an entity.
>
>Prior to existing, the entity DIDN'T HAVE a welfare
>that could be improved. Thus, initial existence did
>not improve the entity's welfare, and initial existence
>therefore CANNOT be a benefit.

Life is the benefit which allows zygotes to grow into animals.
Life is the benefit which makes all others possible. It's not a
sure sign of stupidity if a person can't figure that out for
himself--maybe--but it is a sure sign of stupidity if a person
can't understand it even after it has been pointed out to him.