pearl

"John Coleman" > wrote in message ...
> http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/293/2/172
>
> Meat Consumption and Risk of Colorectal Cancer
> Ann Chao, PhD; Michael J. Thun, MD, MS; Cari J. Connell, MPH; Marjorie L.
> McCullough, ScD; Eric J. Jacobs, PhD; W. Dana Flanders, MD, ScD; Carmen
> Rodriguez, MD, MPH; Rashmi Sinha, PhD; Eugenia E. Calle, PhD
>

> JAMA. 2005;293:172-182.
>
> Context Consumption of red and processed meat has been associated with
> colorectal cancer in many but not all epidemiological studies; few studies
> have examined risk in relation to long-term meat intake or the association
> of meat with rectal cancer.
>
> Objective To examine the relationship between recent and long-term meat
> consumption and the risk of incident colon and rectal cancer.
>
> Design, Setting, and Participants A cohort of 148 610 adults aged 50 to
> 74 years (median, 63 years), residing in 21 states with population-based
> cancer registries, who provided information on meat consumption in 1982
> and again in 1992/1993 when enrolled in the Cancer Prevention Study II
> (CPS II) Nutrition Cohort. Follow-up from time of enrollment in 1992/1993
> through August 31, 2001, identified 1667 incident colorectal cancers.
> Participants contributed person-years at risk until death or a diagnosis
> of colon or rectal cancer.
>
> Main Outcome Measure Incidence rate ratio (RR) of colon and rectal
> cancer.
>
> Results High intake of red and processed meat reported in 1992/1993 was
> associated with higher risk of colon cancer after adjusting for age and
> energy intake but not after further adjustment for body mass index,
> cigarette smoking, and other covariates. When long-term consumption was
> considered, persons in the highest tertile of consumption in both 1982 and
> 1992/1993 had higher risk of distal colon cancer associated with processed
> meat (RR, 1.50; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.04-2.17), and ratio of red
> meat to poultry and fish (RR, 1.53; 95% CI, 1.08-2.18) relative to those
> persons in the lowest tertile at both time points. Long-term consumption
> of poultry and fish was inversely associated with risk of both proximal
> and distal colon cancer. High consumption of red meat reported in
> 1992/1993 was associated with higher risk of rectal cancer (RR, 1.71; 95%
> CI, 1.15-2.52; P = .007 for trend), as was high consumption reported in
> both 1982 and 1992/1993 (RR, 1.43; 95% CI, 1.00-2.05).
>
> Conclusions Our results demonstrate the potential value of examining
> long-term meat consumption in assessing cancer risk and strengthen the
> evidence that prolonged high consumption of red and processed meat may
> increase the risk of cancer in the distal portion of the large intestine.

Former McDonald's CEO Charlie Bell dies of cancer
Posted 1/16/2005 7:11 PM

CHICAGO (AP) — Charlie Bell, who stepped down last year
as McDonald's Corp.'s chief executive to battle colorectal cancer,
died early Monday in his native Australia. He was 44.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ell-obit_x.htm