Frogleg

Default My green bean are too tough (horrors!)

>"Amelia" > wrote

>> Why are my fresh green beans tough when I follow the directions that
>> include boiling them for 5 minutes at a full boil followed with a ice
>> water bath. Is it simply a function of cooking time, or is there
>> more?

Probably the beans. Over-mature, somewhat dried-out beans can't be
magically converted to tenderness outside the old-fahioned boiling to
death method, in which case they'll still be stringy and unpleasant.
Choose slender, unspotted beans with no sign of dried out stems or
'tails.' I usually steam 'em for 2-3 minutes. They turn a pretty
bright green for immediate serving (or maybe tossing briefly in a pan
with butter and slivered almonds), or doing the ice-bath thing to stop
cooking at that point.