pearl

"usual suspect" > wrote in message ...

> >>Doesn't make a ****ing difference, Skanky. Both stores use lethal
> >>force to kill rodents and other pests. Both kinds of farming also use lethal
> >>force to kill rodents and other pests. Both kinds of farming use
> >>machinery that runs over or mutilates animals. You're still
> >>contributing to wholesale animal slaughter and pain, you misguided, heartless
> >>witch.

> > I see you're still insane Usual.

Mad as a hatter!

,..
> > Organic veggies are more nutritious

> You've been "researching" activist claims again, haven't you.

You're going to post corporate propaganda and flawed 'research', aren't you.

> Organic More Nutritious? Even the Organic Industry Doesn't Think So!
>
> by Alex Avery

'Monsanto and the Campaign to Undermine Organics

Monsanto also partially funds the extreme anti-organic Center for
Global Food Issues, a project of the right-wing Hudson Institute.
It is run by Dennis Avery
[1] (http://www.gmwatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=15&page=A)
The Hudson Institute is funded by many firms whose products are
excluded from organic agricultu eg, AgrEvo, Dow AgroSciences,
Monsanto, Novartis Crop Protection, Zeneca, Du Pont, DowElanco,
ConAgra, and Cargill.
[2] (http://www.gmwatch.org/p2temp2.asp?aid=48&page=1&op=1)
and his son Alex Avery.
.....'
http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.pht...rmine_Organics

> Is organic food more nutritious? The simple answer is no. While some
> studies have been trumpeted as having finally shown the nutritional
> superiority of organic foods, other studies of similar crops show either
> no difference or superiority of conventional produce. Many factors
> affect nutrient and mineral content of food, especially produce
> (genetics, sunlight, moisture, pests, harvest date/time of day, time lag
> from harvest to consumption, etc.). Any differences which may result
> from the use of organic or conventional farming practices cannot be
> detected.

'The mineral content of organic food - Rutgers University USA

Percentage of Quantities per 100 Grams Trace Elements. Parts per million
Dry Weight Dry Weight Dry matter

Vegetable: Mineral Ash Calcium Magnesium Boron Manganese Iron Copper Cobalt
Snap Beans
Organic 10.45 40.5 60 73 60 227 69 0.26
Non-organic 4.04 15.5 14.8 10 2 10 3 0
Cabbage
Organic 10.38 60 43.6 42 13 94 48 0.15
Non-organic 6.12 17.5 13.6 7 2 20 0.4 0
Lettuce
Organic 24.48 71 49.3 37 169 516 60 0.19
Non-organic 7.01 16 13.1 6 1 9 3 0
Tomatoes
Organic 14.2 23 59.2 36 68 1938 53 0.63
Non-organic 6.07 4.5 4.5 3 1 1 0 0
Spinach
Organic 28.56 96 203.9 88 117 1584 32 0.25
Non-organic 12.38 47.5 46.9 12 1 49 0.3 0.2

http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/wh...whyorganic.htm.

> But don’t take our word for it.

Of course not!!

> Look at what others have had to say about this question:
>
> -- Even the organic foods industry has been forced to admit that their
> products offer no significant nutritional advantages. Katherine
> DiMatteo, spokesperson for the U.S. Organic Trade Association, was asked
> on ABC’s 20/20 (February 4, 2000) whether organic foods were more
> nutritious than their conventional counterparts. She twice responded
> that “organic foods are as nutritious as any other product.” Not more
> nutritious, merely “as nutritious.”

'chemical isolation combined with nuclear magnetic resonance
(NMR) spectroscopy revealed that the organically-grown oranges
contained 30% more vitamin C than the conventionally-grown fruits
— even though they were only about half the size. '
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0603071017.htm

> --The Tufts University Health & Nutrition letter
> (http://www.phys.com/b_nutrition/02so...qa/organic.htm)
> answered the question of whether organic is more nutritious this way:
> “No one knows. The question is a difficult one to study because of all
> the factors besides farming methods that could affect nutritional
> quality, including soil type and climate. The evidence from the small
> body of reliable studies available thus far does not show any
> significant differences between the nutrient content of organically
> grown and conventionally grown food.”

More research confirms organic food is better for you
RESEARCH PAPER: ARCHIVED

The Soil Association Organic Farming, Food Quality and Human
Health report showed that the nutritional content of organic was
higher than non-organic foods. New US research shows by how
much.

"While my review looked at the entire picture of nutritional food
quality" says Shane Heaton, author of the Soil Association food
quality report, "this research, by nutritionist Virginia Worthington,
has looked specifically at the comparative vitamin and mineral
contents, reviewing a similar collection of scientific studies.

"Her research confirms our findings that, on average, organic
produce contains significantly higher levels of vitamin C, iron,
magnesium and phosphorus, and how seemingly small
differences in nutrients can mean the difference between
getting the recommended daily allowance - or failing to."

All 21 minerals compared were higher in organic produce.
...'
http://www.soilassociation.org/sa/sa...s10122001.html

> --UC Davis nutritionist Dr. Gail Feenstra says, “As much as I'd
> like to say yes, unfortunately the evidence doesn't show that it is. The
> studies are equivocal; there are no definitive studies that show that
> organic is much better than conventionally-produced produce."

'Mineral content: This may be the most important nutritional difference
between organic and regular produce since heavy use of fertilizer inhibits
absorbtion of some minerals, which are likely to be at lower levels to
begin with in soils that have been abused. This may be caused in part
by the lack of beneficial mycorrhizae fungi on the roots since high levels
of fertilizer tend to kill them. Standard diets tend to be low in various
minerals, resulting in a variety of problems including osteoporosis.
...'
http://math.ucsd.edu/~ebender/Health...s/organic.html

> --Consumer Reports, a magazine that strongly favors organic foods
> (and has recommended it several times in the past), wrote this after its
> own evaluation of organic foods Dec. 15, 1997. (available at
> http://www.consumerreports.com/Speci.../9712n001.html): “Yet
> organic produce tastes no different than ‘conventionally’ grown produce,
> and any nutritional differences there might be between them are likely
> so subtle as to evade detection.”

'Evaluation of validity of studies

Of the 99 studies found, claiming or claimed to make a direct
comparison of the nutritional quality of organic and non-organic
produce, 70 were rejected as invalid comparisons for the
following reasons: insufficient duration (27), incorrect or
unknown practices (23), absence of relevant quality comparisons
(14) and republished results of previous experiments (6). Of the
29 remaining valid studies, 14 compare mineral contents, 13
compare vitamin C contents and 19 compare the dry matter
content of organic and non-organic produce.

Results

Against a background of declining mineral levels in fresh
produce over the last sixty years (Mayer 1997), and given that
many people fail to achieve the recommended daily allowance for
a variety of nutrients (MAFF 1996, Clayton 2001), the nutrient
contents of organic and non-organic produce are worthy of
comparison. ..

While similar controlled studies in humans are difficult, clinical
experience and recorded observations have suggested similar
benefits in human reproductive health (Foresight), recovery from
illness (Plaskett 1999) and general health (Daldy 1940) from
the consumption of organically produced food.
http://www.organic.aber.ac.uk/librar...%20quality.pdf.

> -- Canada’s Manitoba Agriculture and Food agency
> (www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/homeec/cbd03s01.htm) had this to say:
> “Nutritional value of plants depends on genetics, availability of water,
> amount of sunlight, maturity when picked, how long it took to come to
> market and whether it was properly handled and refrigerated. Numerous
> laboratory tests have not found any substantial nutritional differences
> in organically and conventionally grown produce.”

Study Denying Nutritional Benefits of Organic Was Bogus
Zinc levels, one of the more interesting comparisons given it's importance
as a trace mineral in human health and because many people are not able
to obtain the recommended daily allowance, described as 'negligible', are
reported as the same level in all twenty crops, which is often 100 percent
higher than the conventional food table figures. Clearly the zinc levels were
not properly assessed.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/Orga...tudy071902.cfm

> --The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
> (http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/...ocs/fs7061.htm):
> “Various comparisons have been made on the nutrient content of plants
> and on other components of nutritional quality. Although differences can
> be found they are not consistent among the different experiments that
> have been conducted. Varying the soil nutrients or other growing
> conditions could conceivably produce similar results. There is no
> conclusive evidence that crops grown organically are either inferior or
> superior nutritionally. There are major differences between experiments
> and among crops within the same experiment.”

'The emphasis of organic agriculture on feeding soils is the primary
step in achieving products of high nutritional content. An
understanding of nutritional balance, physical and biophysical soil
composition underpins a successful organic farming system. '
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/pub/org5yr3.htm

> Dr. Clarence Swanton, professor in the Department of Plant Agriculture
> at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada says, “There is no
> scientific evidence whatsoever that I am aware of that [organic food] is
> nutritionally better for you.”
> http://www.cgfi.org/materials/articl.../oct_18_97.htm

'Organic food IS more nutritious, especially if fresh, and eating it is
vital to good health; let those who claim otherwise try to prove their
case! I still see articles in reputable magazines stating that there is no
nutritional difference between organic produce and regular supermarket
food. I've even repeatedly received this erroneous information from
Agricultural Extension offices and Professors of Agriculture at
“reputable” State Universities... although one Professor, probably
safely tenured, told me in hushed tones that “of course, most of
our funding comes from chemical companies.”
http://www.living-foods.com/articles...utritious.html

> ----------
> See also:
> http://www.price-pottenger.org/Artic...Nutrition.html

'According to the USDA, the calcium content of an apple has
declined from 13.5 mg in 1914 to 7 mg in 1992. The iron content
has declined from 4.6 mg in 1914 to 0.18 mg in 1992.
A study published in the Journal of Applied Nutrition, Vol. 45, #1,
1993 compared the nutrient content of supermarket food versus
organically grown food from food stores in the Chicago area. The
organic produce averaged twice the mineral content of the
supermarket food.
http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/or...griculture.htm

> http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/cook/...526834,00.html

'Organic oats have much higher levels of essential nutrients than conventional
As the chart below shows, preliminary nutritional analysis of oat plants from
The Rodale Institute's Farming Systems Trial found that the organic plants
had increases of up to 74 percent in nutrient content over conventionally
grown plants, suggesting an answer to the perennial question, "Is organic
better?"
http://www.newfarm.org/columns/jeff_moyer/1003.shtml

> http://www.nature.com/nsu/000831/000831-4.html

'A study commissioned by the Organic Retailers and Growers
Association of Australia (ORGAA) found that conventionally
grown fruit and vegetables purchased in supermarkets and
other commercial retail outlets had ten times less mineral content
than fruit and vegetables grown organically.
Source: Organic Retailers and Growers Association of Australia,
2000, as cited in Pesticides and You, Vol. 20, No. 1, Spring 2000,
News from Beyond Pesticides/National Coalition Against the
Misuse of Pesticides.
http://www.organicconnection.net/nutritional.html