"Daniel" > wrote:
> "Bubbabob" > wrote in message
> > llanite > wrote:
> >
> > > Have pear trees and figs. Cuttings from both are OK, if light, sorta
> > > like apple. Haven't tried plum yet, but will soon, as my ornamental
> > > (!) (it bears tiny sweet plumes anyway) is up for pruning.

> > Plum works great, even the ornamental varieties. Try lilac on chicken
> > sometime for a treat. Lilac and fig is a good combination, too.

> Fig?
> Are the fig tree you mention the same than the one we have in Southern
> Europe?
> Please check "my" fig tree at:
> http://www.jardin.ch/Dossiers/figuier.html
> and kindly let me know, thanks in advance.
> I always believed that fig was purely Mediteranean...
> Just curious ;-)

Looks about the same to me. Back in the 40's and early 50's, my Dad had a
fig tree even in da Bronx, where winters would get below -20 C. As Winter
approached, he'd wrap it in blankets and then in tar paper. It survived
every winter and would have figs in the Fall.

Look at wood chunks instead of chips, unless you wrap them in foil.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/
For info on a free (you pay only postage) herbal AIDS remedy, write to: