Kenneth

Default My green bean are too tough (horrors!)

On 25 Dec 2003 12:18:10 -0800, (Amelia) wrote:

>Why are my fresh green beans tough when I follow the directions that
>include boiling them for 5 minutes at a full boil followed with a ice
>water bath. Is it simply a function of cooking time, or is there
>more?
>Thanks for the help.

Howdy,

According to Julia Child, the ice water is used because the flavor of
the beans is lost as they cool slowly...

She suggests the ice water, then reheating in a pan with some butter
when ready to eat 'em.

Also, she wants them boiled for 12 minutes...!

HTH,

--
Kenneth