notbob

On 2005-01-07, elaine > wrote:

> But my question: I picked up coconut cream by mistake - would that be like
> using 35% cream instead of milk. Should I water down the cream and just use
> half?

Coconut milk is not the liquid inside a whole coconut that saves the
shipwrecked survivor on the deserted island. Coconut milk is a liquid
extracted from shredded coconut pulp. And, just like raw milk, the
uprocessed juice extracted from a moo cow, it has a fatty cream that rises
to the top.

The two Thai brands I use, Chaokoh and Mae Ploy, are very high in coconut
cream. I'd say Chaokoh is as high as 1/2 to 2/3rds cream. When I open a
can of Chaokoh, the cream has usually separated from the liquid and forms a
paste, about the consistancy of a newly opened container of sour cream. The
remaining liquid on the bottom is a watery grayish juice. Some recipes call
for just cream. But, for most Thai recipes it's usually assumed to use all
the juice/cream together.

It's possible to buy straight coconut cream. All expamples I've purchased
are frozen, not canned. Coconut cream is prized in Thai cooking and you're
better off with more cream and less juice than the other way around. As you
suggest, you can always add water. Your best bet is to stick with Thai
brands for Thai cooking. Chinese brands also have less cream.

Here's some info on Thai coconut milk and other Thai ingredients. I'm still
using Chaokoh brand, but my last case was purchased some time ago and I
haven't run into the problem Kasma warns against he

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/brands.html

As an added note, also avoid the coconut creams like Coco Lopez which are
meant for bar use (cocktails). I'm not sure what all they include, but I do
know one ingredient is propylene glycol, distant cousin to anti-freeze.

I hope you dish turns out great,
nb