Wayne Boatwright

Default Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens

(Nancree) wrote in
:

> I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas
> oven does to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that
> it is true. The reason given is that the gas flame burns up the
> oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the right
> reason, but having cooked both both electricity and gas, I can tell
> you that in an electric oven always takes about 10 minutes longer.
> This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly pre-heated.
> It is particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin, pecan, lemon,
> etc.
>
> Any experts out there?

No expert, but my experience is the same. However, I still prefer baking
with an electric oven. After years of baking with gas, I still found that
things burned or over-browned easier, and many things got much too dry for
my taste. The temps were on point and relatively even throughout. I just
don't like the performance of gas.

Wayne