Mr. Gorilla

"Mr. Gorilla" wrote in message:
> > It's obvious that veganism falls under that definition (ie: a cause held
> > onto with adore and believed with strong conviction). So do a lot of

other

"Laurie" wrote in message:
> So, all scientifically-established "principle(s) or system of beliefs"
> are therefore "religion"??
> E.g. ALL mathematicians, math teachers, and students who believe that
> the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter is 3.14159...
> are mere religious zealots?

=============

Hey, don't shoot the messenger! I'm just quoting from the definition of
"religion" from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...gion&x=19&y=23
(def. #4 - "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and
faith")

and their definition of "faith":
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...aith&x=18&y=19
(def. #3 - "something that is believed especially with strong conviction")

If you don't agree with their definitions, please go flame THEM about it! I
certainly was surprised by how wide their definition was but who am I to
argue with the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary?

-MG
> And how about all those facts and laws firmly established by science?
> Are those who believe that the Earth is in orbit around our Sun, a

fact
> well established by science and no longer questioned, which was vehemently
> opposed by established religion, are practicing religion??
> The well-determined fact that the acceleration of gravity on this

planet