Marie

Default Dale's Seasoning/Similar Clone Recipe?

Happy New Year all.

We've been using the Dale's Seasoning for both grilled steaks and jerky with
great results. The biggest problem that we have is the sporadic availability
in the major local supermarket chains that dominate here in So.Fl. (Winn
Dixie/Publix). Both can go months without the marinade on the shelves. The
only other option that we have is the Moore's brand that is a very dismal
second and also subject to the same availability problems. Trying to
duplicate the marinade seems simple at first, as it appears to be similar to
soy sauce with powdered ginger,onion, and garlic added with a healthy dose
of MSG (Shades of a Terryiaki minus the wine and sweetner). Beyond that,
something seems to be missing from the brew. We've tried the only clone
recipe that we could find that adds Wasabi powder,Chinese 5 spice,and
suggests using ground Chipotle powder that we can't find anywhere locally.
The Wasabi powder and 5 spice added to the above dramatically removes the
taste from anything similar to Dale's and knowing the taste of Chipotle, I
hardly think that it is a possible ingredient either.
Has anyone either tried to duplicate the marinade or know of a similar
copycat recipe? Years ago, when Dale's was sold in the little glass
bottles, the company pitched a story that the "secret recipe" was brought
back from Japan following WWII for use in their restaurant. This would lead
one to suspect that the marinade might very well be a derivative of a
traditional Japanese recipe. FWIW, we once found a product sold in latin
markets marketed under the name of Maggi (Nestle Latin Markets) simply
labeled as "Sazon" or Seasoning, but imported from China. The taste was
extremely close.

Can anyone make any suggestions to what else might be in this marinade?

TIA,

Marie