Damsel in dis Dress

On 26 Dec 2004 17:36:31 -0800, wrote:

>What could it be, the pea soup fairy? Me too. Pea soup.

*grin* I've been wanting to make some, myself.

Mom used to make it a lot, and I never could stand it. My ex, though,
loved it. But he was unable to look at it. He'd get a bowl, go into the
living room with the TV on, turn off all the lights, and eat it in the
dark. <G>

I've got a completely different take on pea soup than most, I think. I
like the peas intact, and chunks of carrots. And it's spicy (I don't
remember who to thank for the basic spice mix). Crash added the pepperoni,
and it really makes the soup. Here's the recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : legumes soups/chowders

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and set
aside. Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to
large saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until
onions become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add carrots,
then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or
until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if necessary. Remove
bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled bacon.

Per serving: 301 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat);
19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit;
1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates