Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:02:04 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>>> You'll find that as raspberry has seeds it might not be such a good
>>> idea. The classic (according to my Austrian born mother-in-law) is
>>> using plum jam (known as "povidel" - not sure of the spelling). I also
>>> dilute it a bit with hot water for easier spreading.

>> I have never seen nor tasted a Linzer Torte made with Powidl (Lekvar). I
>> use Apricot Jam, unless someone specifically asks for Raspberry filling.
>> The little seeds do not seem to bother them. However, since my husband
>> died, I have made this cake only once or twice. I am not especially fond
>> of sweets and my preferred dessert is a nice, crunchy piece of French
>> Baguette with cheese and a glass of red wine. )

>One of the very few times I've had a Linzer Torte was in Vienna or Graz,
>Austria and it was made with Lekvar; it was the first one I ever had. I
>loved it. I've also had one or two with Raspberry here in the United
>States, but it is the one with Lekvar that I really liked. I've not seen
>one made with apricot.
>Dee

My mother-in-law was from Vienna, and she always made it with Kekvar -
where she got her recipe from, I don't know. When we were in Austria
we went to Linz, and knowing that the torte originated there, I just
had to have some. If I recall correctly, their Linzer was with
Lekvar. I also don't recall seeing it with apricot jam, but I have
seen it with strawberry and cherry jam, but only outside of Austria.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>