Will

Kenneth wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:04:06 -0700, Samartha
> > wrote:
>
> >Kenneth: flour sterilized? - Hardly because it was active and

smelled sour.

> Hi Samartha,
>
> Perhaps you are right, but IIRC it was active only at the
> very start. That pointed me in the direction of
> contamination rather than the growth of critters in the
> flour.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

If the culture environment is dryer, as in dough-like, you can avoid
most, if not all, of the opportunistic growth from undesireable
bacteria. The appropriate microbial culture comes with fresh grain. It
is the basis of a symbiotic ecology which makes makes sprouting
efficient. Your gut carries bacterial for the same purpose: to make
energy conversion efficient. Too much water is not a natural state for
sourdough culture(s). Samartha has mentioned on several occassions that
stirring to oxygenate is important. Why might this be? Too much water?
All of the comments about hooch indicate bad culture practices, wastes
are inbalancing the culture process. There is nothing in the
grain-to-mature-plant cycle that works under water. Grain rots in a
flooded field.

So does flour under water.

Will