Scott

In article <Ab1yd.4707$113.617@trndny03>,
"Retta" > wrote:

> A long time ago someone gave me a recipe for drunken fruit along with a
> starter. I believe it's also called friendship fruit. It can be used as a
> topping on desserts
> or in cakes or other dishes. I remember that you don't put it in the frig
> because that stops the process. I can't find the recipe and would like to
> start a batch. Can anyone help me?

Sounds like Rumtopf/Rum-pot, though I haven't heard of the starter
aspect. I keep on meaning to make it, but I never seem to remember;
nevertheless, I've collected a bunch of info.

I'm told you need at least 108 proof rum, else the fruit (which dilutes
the alcohol) will start to rot. You may not be able to find that
strength, so spike regular rum with Bacardi 151.

Use strawberries, cherries, peaches, plums, pineapple, etc. No citrus.
start in the spring, when the first berries (e.g. strawberries or
whatever come out first) come into season.

Sprinkle each layer of fruit with white sugar (1 cup sugar to 1 quart
fruit). It is best to let the fruit macerate for a hour or two, then
cover with rum.

There actually are Rumtopf pots, but any 3 to 5 quart non-porous
earthenware jar is OK; I think you can use glass so long as you wrap
opaque paper around it (and cover).

Keep adding fruit as it comes into season, using the same technique (and
topping off with rum). The fruit must always be covered with rum. I'm
told that some people slowly decrease the amount of added sugar to 1/2
cup per quart as they progress towards the end (in the fall). I've heard
it's better to add too little sugar rather than too much, as too much
will mask the fruit's taste and you can correct for too little by adding
more at the end.

Remove any stems or pits before adding.

The jar should be closed well, but not sealed: gas needs to be able to
escape without letting anything in. I've seen sources both recommend for
and against blueberries (once source said they turn grey, another simply
said they don't do well). One source says use peaches; another says use
apricots but NOT peaches. Yet another source said not to use apples.

The rumtopf is ready at least two weeks after the final addition, though
if you wait for a couple of months, the flavor improves. You can
separate the fruit from the liquid: the fruit as a topping, the liquid
as a cordial.

Suggested fruits (not in seasonal order):

Strawberries
Blackberries/raspberries
Currants
Gooseberries
Cherries (sour and Bing)
Blueberries
Plums
Pineapple

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>