Sheryl Rosen

PENMART01 at wrote on 12/26/04 9:27 PM:

>> I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
>> slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
>> (the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
>> use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
>> hours, I'll use it more this winter.

> I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
> me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
> for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking.

I am also a taster and adder. But I don't always have the time during the
week to cook like that, because I work an hour away from home...I'm gone for
10-11 hours at a time, and after a long day...sometimes I just want supper,
but I don't feel like cooking, dirtying pots and pans that I have to clean
up, waiting for dinner to be ready, etc. So I need shortcuts. Some people
rely on "tv dinner" frozen meals for times when they just want to eat, but
don't have time or energy to actually cook. That's not my style. I either
cook a lot on the weekends for the entire week, or put my own good
ingredients in my crock pot so dinner is ready when I get home.

Yeah., it's a shortcut, but it's still "cooking".
I know people who live on frozen dinners and "meals in a box". That's not
cooking.