Scented Nectar

> > I have no way of knowing what farmers do what.

> That's false. NOW, you know exactly what they do:
> they chop little animals to bits in the course of
> producing food for you. Previously, you didn't know,
> but now you do know. It is your knowledge of what
> happens that implicates you.

Let me rephrase that. I have no way of knowing
WHICH farmers do what. Short of starving
myself, eating vegan provides the least
accidental deaths. We all know how that
works, I'm not repeating it over again.

> > I'm not
> > responsible for any deaths personally.

> You are responsible for the deaths of the animals
> chopped up in the field in order to feed you in exactly
> the same way a meat eater is responsible for the deaths
> of animals he eats.

My responsibility stops where I no longer have
control. In my case, that's most of what I eat,
excepting of course that I prefer Lundberg
both for lessening deaths on their farms, and
for just being the best quality brown rice.

> > You are trying
> > to put an 'absoluteness' on the whole thing

> It is just there, based on YOUR belief in the absolute
> wrongness of killing animals.

It's wrong, but I accept that some of it I can't control.
I'm not a superhero. Do you really think the word
absolute fits in this case? I mean considering that
you insist vegans should abstain absolutely from
all food grown by bad farmers.

> > when in
> > fact you know full well that I am content with the death
> > reductions I have made (knowing that it's currently
> > impossible to do better).

> You have no reason to be content, and it IS possible
> for you to do better. It is EASILY possible for you to
> do better, but you never cared in the first place. You
> are content solely with doing the easiest, most emptily
> symbolic act you can find.

Your way of doing it better is to eat wild meat, a
resource that would go extinct pretty fast if all
meat eaters switched to it. I could counter that
wild meat with wild tubers and berries etc. That's
0 deaths compared to your 1 (minimum) death.

Of course I will not eat meat. That's not a
valid thing to offer a vegetarian. You do
realize that, don't you?

> > You say I'm not allowed to
> > feel content, something you have no say in.

> I do have say. You are not entitled to your feeling of
> contentment. You haven't done anything morally
> significant.

I can feel content and you can't stop me. I don't
have to prove any moral points to you in order
to do so. You don't have say. Do you think I
have any say in YOUR contentment level?

> > I am doing the best I can

> You are NOT doing the best you can. Stop lying.

Yes I am. I know my abilities and limits. You don't.

> > You're the one putting absolute in there.

> No, it is just there.

Who put it there? You, as far as I can see. Your words,
your wording.

> > You're putting words in my mouth.

> No. That is the essence of what you're saying.

Oh, now you're calling it 'essence'? Earlier you
called these things 'implied'. You put words
in my mouth. It's what your paranoid side sees
as vegans hating you and being the enemy.

> > Stop forcing the word absolute into the above

> I'm not. It's just there, whether you like it or not.

You put it there.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/