Mr. Gorilla

"Mr. Gorilla" > wrote in message:
> > It's obvious that veganism falls under that definition (ie: a cause held
> > onto with adore and believed with strong conviction). So do a lot of

other

"pearl" > wrote in message:
> 'Religion' is generally understood to mean something else, as you know.

===========

Yes.... Actually, I was kind of hoping that one of those who claim that
veganism is a religion would respond and tell me that. And then perhaps
exactly how veganism claims to bring about "spiritual salvation", as other
religions do, if the meaning that you're implying is what they also have in
mind. But, none of them took the bait. Oh well...

"pearl" > wrote (r.e. vegans):
> They are compassionate because-- that's how we are.

And, FWIW, I have a lot of respect for you as a vegan because of that - I
don't know how you do it. I was a (whole foods) vegan for 1 1/2 years about
20 years ago (after several years as a lacto-vegetarian). I felt really
malnourished by the end, like I was developing serious dietary deficiencies.
I couldn't stand it anymore so I went back to including milk in my diet and
that fixed the problem. I've tried veganism several more times over the
years since then, and the same thing always happens. After a few months I
begin to feel like I'm developing nutritional deficiencies, so I go back to
the lacto-vegetarian diet, and I'm OK. I guess I must have "Mahatma Gandhi
Syndrome" or something, since he ran into the same problem. Except he went
much longer and nearly died, and could only return to health by taking
(goat's) milk. Some people seem to do OK on the vegan diet somehow, though,
and I certainly respect them for that. I wish I could.

"pearl" > wrote:
> It can be a fundamental aspect of religion, for sure, even a requirement;

Oh yes, definitely. In fact it was my interest in Buddhism that originally
got me interested in becoming a vegetarian long ago. (Although vegetarianism
isn't a requirement with Buddhism, it does play a role, as you probably
know). But I have to say to those who think veganism is a religion in
itself, if I had to rate it as a religion I'd say it makes a very poor one.
During my 1 1/2 years as a vegan it provided no sense of, or even hope for
spiritual fulfillment of any kind. A definite thumbs down from me for
veganism as a religion.

-MG