usual suspect

Adding more information. I'd forgotten about studies showing increased
mortality from cancer among vegetarians, and one study in particular
which shows insignificant differences in other diseases.

usual suspect wrote:

>>> such consumption, I abstain.
>>>
>>> What "ill effects"?

>> http://www.drgreger.org/talks.html

> The whole list or individual ones?
>
> - Cancer: The studies most often cited deal with multiple issues, not
> merely meat consumption. Some misuse the data to suggest that ALL meat
> should be avoided, when the correlations have a lot more to do with the
> amount of fruits and vegetables consumed in comparison to the amount of
> meat consumed. Too much of anything can be bad, so moderation is called
> for. One can still eat meat and not be at higher risk of cancer. Pay
> attention to the words I highlighted:
>
> SOME research has suggested that diets HIGH in red meat are
> associated with a SLIGHT increase in risk of bowel cancer;
> processed meat seems to be of most concern.
> http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/edit...sp?pageid=1861
>
> See also: http://www.breastcancer.org/research_diet_010903.html

Here's something else worth considering. It's from a study of 11,000
vegetarians and other health conscious people.

This study was initially set up to test the hypotheses that
daily consumption of wholemeal bread (as an indicator of a high
fibre diet) and vegetarian diet are associated with a reduction
in mortality from ischaemic heart disease; the reduction in
mortality associated with both of these dietary factors was *NOT
SIGNIFICANT*.

We found that a vegetarian diet was associated with a 15%
reduction in mortality from ischaemic heart disease. This was
*NOT SIGNIFICANT* and was LESS THAN the roughly 30% reductions
REPORTED IN EARLIER ANALYSES of this cohort.... A vegetarian
diet was also associated with a *SIGNIFICANT INCREASE* in
mortality from breast cancer. However, the confidence interval
was wide.... The numbers of deaths for individual cancer sites
were small and the mortality ratios have wide confidence
intervals. The 41% reduction in mortality from lung cancer
associated with daily consumption of fresh fruit was *NOT
SIGNIFICANT*....
http://tinyurl.com/4q6fe

The emphases in that are from points I was making to a bonehead who used
that particular study to suggest that the study found important and
significant correlations between vegetarianism and good health. As you
can see, the benefits were statistically *not* significant, and there
was actually an increase in the number of mortalities from breast cancer
among vegetarians.