J.C. Scott

usual suspect wrote:
> J.C. Scott wrote:
> > Jay Santos wrote:
> >
> >>At Wikipedia:
> >>
> >> Those who avoid animal products for reasons of
> >> health (eg, due to allergies, or to avoid
> >> cholesterol), rather than compassion sometimes
> >> describe themselves as "dietary vegans". However,
> >> popular vegan author Joanne Stepaniak argues that
> >> this term is inappropriate because veganism is by
> >> definition about helping animals.
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan

> > I don't eat any animal products at all, and it's strictly for

health
> > reasons. In my own case, it has nothing to do with compassion for
> > animals. In fact, I love hamburgers and chicken, among many other
> > types of animal products, but due to the associated ill effects of

such

http://www.drgreger.org/talks.html

> > A person could label me vegetarian but that's
> > too lax a term, in my opinion, because plenty of vegetarians

continue
> > to eat eggs and cheese, which I don't. My diet is extremely rigid.

> So is your sense of semantics. Why do you insist on using *any*

labels
> if animal rights isn't a personal concern?

The dictionary definition of 'vegetarianism' or 'vegan' fails to
mention animal rights, therefore your question is irrelevant.

> > If
> > the debate is strictly over whether the term "dietary vegan" is

valid,
> > well, it's just trivial semantics, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

> Then why do you consider "vegetarian" too lax a description of your

diet?

.... because I'm open to debate it just for the sake of discussion, but
when it's all said and done it's really a nonevent, in my opinion.