J.C. Scott

Jay Santos wrote:
> At Wikipedia:
>
> Those who avoid animal products for reasons of
> health (eg, due to allergies, or to avoid
> cholesterol), rather than compassion sometimes
> describe themselves as "dietary vegans". However,
> popular vegan author Joanne Stepaniak argues that
> this term is inappropriate because veganism is by
> definition about helping animals.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan

I don't eat any animal products at all, and it's strictly for health
reasons. In my own case, it has nothing to do with compassion for
animals. In fact, I love hamburgers and chicken, among many other
types of animal products, but due to the associated ill effects of such
consumption, I abstain. A person could label me vegetarian but that's
too lax a term, in my opinion, because plenty of vegetarians continue
to eat eggs and cheese, which I don't. My diet is extremely rigid. If
the debate is strictly over whether the term "dietary vegan" is valid,
well, it's just trivial semantics, as far as I'm concerned anyway.