On 27-Dec-2004, "Joseph O'Brien" > wrote:

> Any advice on how to adjust time/temp for a typical bread
> recipe? Is there any special history behind the bread crock? ("This
> traditional stoneware was used by our great-great grandmothers, who
> baked perfect artisan loaves in bread crocks that were passed down from
> generation to generation. Much like a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet,
> bread crocks are considered valuable culinary heirlooms not only for
> the generations of love and care behind them, but for the lustrous
> patina of natural oils and wild yeasts." Or something like that.)
> Any thoughts?

Do a google search for flowerpot bread and you'll find the answers you seek.

The bread crock is a variation on the flowerpot, which were often used to
create gift breads. The terra cotta works similar to a bread/pizza stone in
creating a "better" crust. Often, the top of the bread is decorated, seeds,
slashing or topnot (like a brioche).

I have seen the flowerpot bread given as gifts, in the pot, wrapped with
cellophane and ribbon as might be used on a potted flower gift.