PENMART01

>Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>It tastes fairly reminiscent of the tubes of soup mix you spoke about. Those
>were a mainstay in my mom's kitchen! I'll have to try that again. If I
>recall, it makes a small pot full, which for a single person household, is
>my preference.

I keep a supply of those dry soup tube packets on hand all year but make sure
to have lots for winter, I especially like the vegetable barley w/'shrooms.
They are a lot more costly now ('bout $1.39) than they were when I grew up
watching my mother use them (10¢ - 3/25¢), and her mother... we never had
Lipton's or Campbell's... my mother (and grandmother) said those were dreck,
and so it was. One packet doesn't make a huge quantity but it makes more than
sufficient for a few good sized bowls full. But as I mentioned, I almost
always (actually *always*) doctor it and so end up with 2-3-4 times more... a
packet of vegetable barley w'shrooms in with a pot roast yields the roast plus
about 6 quarts soup (thick).

>I found a recipe for yellow split pea soup with canadian bacon in a
>slow-cooker recipe booklet put out by Betty Crocker. It's several years old,
>(the booklet) but the soup recipes looked good. Now that I discovered I can
>use the crockpot on a light timer, and it doesn't have to cook for 10-11
>hours, I'll use it more this winter.

I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking. I
don't look for short cuts, in fact I tend to find ways that make the cooking
experience last longer. I made meat loaf for dinner tonight... took about six
hours... first I grind the meat...

I keep a full compliment of soup staples, from all kinds of dried beans to
every shape of small pasta imaginable.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon