Sheryl Rosen

in article , Sheryl Rosen at
wrote on 12/26/04 6:37 PM:

> For some reason, I decided to make pea soup today.
>
> I remember as a teenager deciding that I didn't like pea soup.
> Haven't had it since and never really missed it. But I was in the grocery
> store today and I saw a bag of split peas, and it was snowing out...and
> something made me think: "Today would be a good day to make pea soup".
>
> So I came home and made the following:
>
> Pea Soup
>
> 1 large onion, diced small
> 2 medium sized carrots, diced
> 2 ribs of celery, diced
>
> 3/4 lb smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick.
>
> 1 tablespoon corn oil
>
> 1 lb split green peas, sorted, rinsed and drained
>
> 10 cups chicken stock (I used canned, thinned with some water)
> 2 bay leaves (thanks, Boron/Gloria!)
> pinch of thyme
> 2 pinches of parsley
> pepper to taste
>
> In my 8 quart dutch oven, I sauteed the sliced sausages until some fat was
> rendered out of them and they started to brown. I added in the veggies and
> sauteed them until they were nice and tender, but not brown, about 15
> minutes. At one point, I needed a bit more fat, so I added in the oil.
> When the veggies were soft and the meat brown, I added in the peas, stock
> and herbs. It's simmering now.
>
> When the peas are tender, I'll adjust the salt and pepper, maybe add a
> splash of vinegar for brightness (I saw them do this on America's Test
> Kitchens with pea soup) and pack it up in serving size portions for lunches
> at work this week.
>
> I didn't have a ham bone, that's why I used the smoked sausage, it's what I
> had. I think it will be fine. I didn't add any salt b/c the sausage and the
> canned broth are salted enough. but will taste it and add it if needed. I
> doubt it will though.
>
> I won't puree it b/c I think that has always been my objection to pea
> soup....the texture. I prefer my soups chunky. The chunks of veggies from
> the mirepoix I started with will help my texture objection, too. Most I
> will do is maybe puree a cup or two of veggies and mix that back in. So it
> will have some body but it won't be entirely smooth. Ick.

Just tasted it.....
Yum!

I think if I add the vinegar, it will be as I serve it.

It doesn't need pureeing at all. It's perfect as is. After about an hour
simmering, it's not terribly thick, the peas have turned mushy and some have
disintegrated, but most are still visible. For variety, I tossed in a
handful of frozen peas (maybe a quarter cupful...whatever was left in a bag
of frozen).

I tasted it and it's delicious! Good eatin' for lunch this week!!!!