Gunther Anderson

> Thanks to Paul and Mister Fixit and particularly to Gunther for your
> help. I was thinking about doing this with pineapple, but I'm guessing
> that pineapples are out of season right now.

Keep your eyes open - with so many southern-hemisphere growers, almost
nothing ever goes completely out of season. Except cranberries. Also,
canned pineapple sould work too, ang might make your vodka slightly
sweeter as a result.

And one other thing: a number of people I know prefer gin for soaking
things instead of vodka, so consider other alcohols if you're feeling
adventurous.

> I did go to Gunther's site and haven't even finished reading it yet. I
> had been under the impression that schnapps and liquers were basically
> the same thing. I haven't developed a taste for schnapps. So, I'm glad
> to learn there's other options out there.

Definitely worlds of difference...

> A few years ago, I went to the Capital Grille where they had this giant
> jar filled with pineapples and vodka. The vodka was one of the best
> things I've ever drunk and all I could think was how I'd love to get a
> bowl full of the pineapple. Gunther's post now leads me to believe
> that the pineapple flavor had probably been entirely leached from the
> pineapples. I'm going to study his page more carefully, follow the
> directions in his post, and try to make some vodka soaked pineapple.

Bugaboo Creek was doing that last time I was there, too. Honestly,
there's very little to making what you want, except finding big jars to
do it in. Being lazy, I'd grab a 2-liter jar (since I have a large
collection of such jars), and put in a couple of big cans of pineapple
after I'd drained them. And maybe cut them to size if I used rings
instead of sections. Then I'd pour a 1.75L bottle of decent vodka over
top, to fill the jar. And I'd hope my pineapples sank. After a couple
of days, both the vodka and the pineapples would be fine.

I doubt that the flavor of anything could ever be leached completely
like that. The best you could ever hope for is 50/50 - equilibrium
between the fruit and the vodka. If the flavor was especially strong,
it probably means that they changed out the pineapples occasionally.

So go nuts. The worst thing that could happen is that you have to eat
(and drink) your failures. And even your failures will be tasty.

Gunther Anderson