Thanks to Paul and Mister Fixit and particularly to Gunther for your
help. I was thinking about doing this with pineapple, but I'm guessing
that pineapples are out of season right now.

I did go to Gunther's site and haven't even finished reading it yet. I
had been under the impression that schnapps and liquers were basically
the same thing. I haven't developed a taste for schnapps. So, I'm glad
to learn there's other options out there.

Truth be told, what I really like in my vodka-based drinks is just
barely to taste the vodka. I don't want to mask it entirely and I
certainly want the vodka to taste good on its own terms, but I prefer
to let the fruit flavor predominate since I really, really like fruit,
especially fresh fruit juice. Pretty much my favorite alcoholic
beverages are a screwdriver with freshly squeezed orange juice or a
bloody mary with freshly made mix.

A few years ago, I went to the Capital Grille where they had this giant
jar filled with pineapples and vodka. The vodka was one of the best
things I've ever drunk and all I could think was how I'd love to get a
bowl full of the pineapple. Gunther's post now leads me to believe
that the pineapple flavor had probably been entirely leached from the
pineapples. I'm going to study his page more carefully, follow the
directions in his post, and try to make some vodka soaked pineapple.