Alex Rast

at Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:15:00 GMT in
Humana) wrote :

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Someone advised that eggs and milk should sit out a while and get to
>> room temp before using in a recipe. Any validity to this?
>> val - about to make cranberry muffins and wondering
>>

>It's something I fall back on when things go wrong. In general, I don't
>bother but it is the IDEAL standard...

I'd also make a bit of an exception for cookies and cakes that use creamed
butter, especially if something warm is added to them (such as melted
chocolate). In that case, the warm thing may partially melt the butter, and
it's best if the butter not melt. Thus adding any eggs and/or milk cold
will bring the temperature down, offsetting the addition of heat from the
melted item and thus minimising melting.

The other case is if you have a very warm house (e.g. non-air-conditioned
Southern-State house in the middle of the summer). Again, in that case I'd
prefer to keep everything cold until the last minute.

With muffins, however, generally it's best to have things at RT. The
ingredients will disperse more uniformly, and you won't have to mix so
long, which reduces the risk of hockey-puck or foam-mattress muffins.

--
Alex Rast