Default Marinating Fruit in Vodka?

Any suggestions as to how to do this? I'd presume that, once you
submerge fruit in alcohol, you kill off the bacteria, but I'm not sure.
How long does one want to submerge the fruit? Is there one best time
or does it depend on the type of fruit? Do most people add sugar? Is
there some sort of standard ratio or is it all to taste? Do some
fruits just not work? Is there an online or text reference for all
this? What about the jar that you put it in? Can it be anything or
should it be glass like vodka normally comes in? Thanks. I'm wanting
to get this ready for a wedding.