Vincent

Default Sangria

It just about that time again. For the past 3-4 years, I've been making
Sangria. I made it one Christmas, just to have something different along
with the usual lot of wines, liquors, beers, etc., and the family just loved
it. They have no appreciation for the EXPENSIVE Bordeaux's I like (and
that's a good thing), but a $9.99 1.5L bottle of CAB, mixed with selected
fruits, sugar and brandy is a concoction that pleases the whole family. [If
interested, the exact recipe, I believe, is called "World's Greatest
Sangria" and can be found at webtender.com.

Now one instruction I've never followed was to "cut it with some sparkling
water." I ignore it, mainly because it is not specific enough to say how
much to add, and after 48 hours (it says 18-24, but 48 tastes even better),
I'd hate to ruin it. And while it does start out a bit syrupy, I add ice
cubes to the pitcher (starts out room temp) and the melted ice seems to
"cut" it just fine.

But I wonder if there are any experienced Sangria makers here? If after I
add the sugar and brandy (on Christmas morning), I refrigerate it instead of
adding the ice cubes, would the sparkling water make it taste any better? Is
"Club Soda" the same as sparkling water? And would I add it in the morning
or closer to when I'm going to serve it? Any other tips/pointers would be
appreciated as well!!

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays if Christmas is
nothing to you)

\/