Jessica V.

> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

I have several kinds of cast iron. The old stuff is cast better than
the newer stuff. With the exception being some of the CI that was made
in Japan between 1950 and 1980. The older pans in common shapes/sizes
can easily be had in antique shops, thrift shops, flea markets and
garage sales for $1-$15.

Plain, I have Griswold, Wagner & Lodge. Lodge being the only one that
is currently produced.

Enameled Le Crueset & Portland Stove Foundry, the latter being a long
defunct company.

On the enameled pieces I have no real preferance. On the plain, for
large size pieces I find the old stuff to be somewhat lighter in weight
than Lodge.

FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
retailers for less .

Jessica