Vox Humana

""."" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Vox Humana wrote:
>
> I'm not suggesting anyone experiment with some kid. Talking to the kid's
> parents is a sensible choice but I wouldn't do it because I fear
> litigation. Maybe the parents are willing to see if the kid is still
> allergic to eggs. If it is not a severe allergy it might be worth trying.
> They can just keep some Reactine or Aerius around to relieve the itching.
>
> If it was a friend's kid I would be willing to put forth the effort. Then
> again, I have never known anyone to sue anyone over something like this.

I have years of experience with this subject in the medical field. People
often say they are allergic to things when they aren't. When you start
asking questions you find that they have no idea why they think they have an
allergy or the consequences of eating something or taking a particular drug
are not consistent with an allergic reaction. There are a variety of
reasons why this happens. Unfortunately you never know for sure so you have
to play it safe. This is doubly true with kids because you can't get
reliable information from them in an interview. I think some parents say
that the kids have allergies because it makes them "special"

One problem with the "try and see" method that you suggest is that if they
are truly allergic to something, the next reaction could be anaphylaxis.
You may have a mild to moderate reaction with the first couple of exposures
and then have a massive, life-threatening reaction.