Edwin Pawlowski

"Brian and Maryann" > wrote in message
news:seNxd.607553$D%.37838@attbi_s51...
> Hi,
> Wishing everyone a merry christmas and I have a quick question.
> I am smoking sausage made from ground beef and ground pork. I have made it
> before and 1/2 the time it is good and 1/2 the time it is unedible.
> The recipe I use says smoke 6 to 8 hours but gives no meat temp. Does
> anyone know what the meat temp. should be when done?
> Thanks alot!
> Smokey the Brian

..
When smoking that long the sausage should have a cure in the recipe. You
can use Prague powder, modern cure or Morton's Tenderquick. Assuming you
have one of those you can now start.

Most of the time you want to smoke at a very low temperature, about 80 to
100 degrees. After some hours of that you bring the heat up until the meat
reaches 160 internal. Now the meat is cooked. Smoking at too high a
temperature will dry out the sausage and make it more like jerky or slim
Jims
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/