Boron Elgar

On 20 Dec 2004 12:54:16 -0800, "Michael" >
wrote:

>In March we've got a condo reserved down south for
>a vacation. We'll have a full kitchen and I'd like
>to make some quick and easy meals to save us having
>to go out for every meal. Breakfast will definitely
>be a serve-yourself affair, so I'm targeting lunch
>and dinner. We could easily just go to the grocery
>store and buy cold cuts and bread and hit the deli
>for potato salad etc, but I'd like to at least have
>a go at a few simple but different meals.
>
>I've been browsing both the quick-meal and the few-
>ingredient cookbooks and have pretty much found that
>I need to stick with the few-ingredient ones.
>Although we are not against packing a small variety
>of herbs and spices to take with us, we do not want
>to have to go to the expense of fully stocking the
>kitchen. The number of ingredients needs to be
>somewhat limited.
>
>Anyway, I've come up with a few ideas: angel hair
>spaghetti and just about anything, chicken quesidias
>(sp?), and Moroccan chicken. Do you have any good
>ideas for something quick and easy to fix and maybe
>just a bit off the beaten track?
>
>Thank you, Michael

May I suggest you try some basics for the main course (so you can
broil or grill them quickly) and add some local veggies as sides.

Depending on where you are down south, the fish & seafood should be
plentiful & as inexpensive as they get, so you might want to avail
yourself of that and bake a few potatoes or yams, add a salad and
some fruit for dessert and you have a meal that is very fresh and
very simple to prepare.

If you are in parts of the south that are known for pork and hams, try
a local ham or some sausage or bacon and you can have leftovers with
the ham or can make omelets for dinner (a mushroom or two, some onion
& a tomato are a breeze for add-ins). Whip up some biscuits (Use
Bisquick for speed - all you need is a fork & liquid) and again, some
fruit and you have what we call BFD - Breakfast for Dinner.

You are on vacation and even if you enjoy cooking, why not take
advantage of fast prep items using fresh and local ingredients? You
get the flavor of the area you're visiting and still get to enjoy
your vacation, too.

Boron