The Cook

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>"pete" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> hi,
>>
>> i was wondering if Real Vanilla is worth the premium?
>>
>> will it make my chocolate chip cookies,
>> or hot chocolate taste that much better?
>> i've seen it in large bottles at Costco

>I know this is going to be completely horrifying to most people but I will
>say it none-the-less. The folks at Cooks Illustrated did a study of this
>subject a few years back and came to the following conclusion. For products
>where the flavoring is added prior to baking/cooking/heating, there is no
>distinguishable difference between imitation vanilla and real vanilla. For
>products where the flavoring is added and no cooking takes place (ice cream,
>frosting, etc.), real vanilla is the product of choice. Therefore, I have
>both on my shelf. As you point out, you can get about a pint of artificial
>vanilla at Costco for about a nickel (OK, I exaggerate a bit here). I would
>recommend that you get the large bottle of synthetic vanilla from Costco and
>a small bottle of real vanilla. Do a blind taste test and see what you
>prefer. I suspect that you won't be able to tell the difference in the
>cookies and you may be able to distinguish in the hot chocolate. If you
>hate the artificial stuff, give it to someone. You will only be out a
>nickel.

The pint bottle of vanilla from Costco (at least the one I bought
about a year ago) is pure vanilla extract.

I was just reading in Alton Brown's new book about vanilla and he
agrees with you and Cook's Illustrated. Since I still have at least
1/2 pint of vanilla left, I will just use it.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."