Margaret Suran

RsH wrote:
> Does anyone have an older, meat based, mincemeat recipe as
> practiced in Scotland instead of these fruit based ones? After
> all, that is the real mincemeat that I thought one should be aiming
> at.
>
> RsH

Mince Meat For Pies, Settlement Cook Book, 24th Edition, 1941

3 lbs meat, chopped

1 1/2 lbs beef suet, chopped

6 lbs apples, chopped

3 lbs raisins, seeded (I suppose that means without seeds)

2 lbs currants

L lbs citron, chopped fine

1/2 rind of lemon and orange

l oz cinnamon, ground

1 nutmeg, grated

1/2 oz cloves

3 lbs ground sugar

1 quart boiled cider

1 quart molasses

Salt to taste

Cook all together for 2 hours and seal in glass jars.

Here is another one from the same book.

Mince Meat For Pies

2 1/2 lbs. fresh boiled tongue, skinned and chopped fine

or

2 1/2 lbs. beef rump, chopped

2 lbs sugar

1 orange peel, cut fine

1 nutmeg

2 lbs raisins

1/2 lb suet

1/2 lb currants

l lb citron, cut fine

1/8 oz cloves, mace

1/2 oz cinnamon

1 cup cider

1 quart sour wine

1 cup brandy

Mix all dry ingredients. Put into a preserving kettle with cider and
cook slowly about 2 hours; add wine and brandy; put away in glass jars.

When ready to bake pies, add chopped apples and pecan nut meats.