DJS0302

>Michael wrote:
>
>> I would bake to bake a bunch of different types of cakes, using 4" inch,
>> 1-cup capacity tube cake pans.
>>
>> For recipes that request one 10" tube cake pan, how many of those mini
>> tube cake pans do I need?

>Easy way to find out: Fill a 10" tube pan with water, then ladle/pour out
>the water into a measuring pitcher. The number of cups which fit in the pan
>is the same as the number of 1-cup pans you'll need.
>
>You can also figure it out using calculus: You want the volume of the solid
>of rotation created by rotating a displaced parabola around the Y axis. The
>outer edge of the parabola is 5" from the origin, the height of the parabola
>is around four or five inches, and the inner edge is about an inch and a
>half to two inches. The solution is left as an exercise for the student. [I
>used to teach calculus.]
>
>Bob

I thought about telling him to use geometry to calculate the volumes of the
pans. Geometry was one of my best subjects. I hated calculus however. I took
pre-calculus and regular calculus and after that I never used calculus again.
That was 20 years ago. The only thing I remember about it is derivatives.