Wayne Boatwright

"Raj V" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote:
>> Incredible mincemeat is incredibly easy to make, and while not cheap,
>> is nowhere near $20 a jar. For the holidays I have used Delia Smith's
>> recipe for Christmas Mincemeat, and a recipe shared by a poster, June
>> Fawthrop, on uk.food+drink.misc. Both are excellent.

> I think I have found Delia's recipe but a google groups search does not
> turn up the Fawthrop recipe. If you have it, would you mind posting it?
>
> I'll bet there are darned few people who grew up as I did in N.E.
> Oklahoma, and I'm only 63. A farm on a gravel road, 20 miles to the
> nearest grocery, no electricity, wood cooking stove, kerosene lamps,
> well water, a working smoke house, hunting that was not considered a
> sport but subsistence, fresh from the udder milk, butter from a churn.
> Every fall our family butchered a cow and a pig. The smoke house was
> tended for weeks with hickory. I distinctly remember my mother making
> mincemeat, the meat coming from the cow's head. Yeah, I wasn't impressed
> at the time. Wow, talk about being anachronism!

Well, your age is between mine and my dad's, but he grew up under
precisely the same details as you describe, and I witnessed them as a very
young child. The only difference was that they didn't hunt for meat very
often. They butchered their own animals and smoked their own meat, but
they also ate a lot of chickens raised on their farm. I also remember the
iceman delivering blocks of ice for the icebox and the milkhouse.

> Thanks,
> Raj

From June Fawthrop...

--