Java Man

In article .com>,
says...
> As the recently former owner of a Solis Maestro Plus (repeatedly
> jammed, unreliable grind [varied from 15 sec to 60 sec drip time],
> required multiple cleaning out) I am going to buy a new grinder.
>
> To avoid another mishap I thought Id seek help here.

I think a Maestro plus should last for years if you're using it only for
drip coffee. Drip isn't so fussy that the superior precision of an
expensive burr grinder is needed.

> It seems like the most recommended grinders are the Mazzer, Rocky, and
> Gaggia MDF - (?others in price range).

All overkill for drip, IMHO.

> I just want a reliable grinder that doesnt have a bunch of rules (dont
> accidentally run on empty! dont change setting unless grinder running!)
> and will do both espresso and drip grinds, allow me to (relatively)
> easily change beans, and fill a hopper with enough coffee to dump into
> my drip machine.

These aren't rules, but cautions to help you avoid damaging your
grinder.

> Does such a beast exist?

Think about how a burr grinder works, and the reason for the "rules"
becomes obvious. I am not aware of any burr grinder that should be
adjusted finer unless it is running, or unless the hopper is empty and
there are no beans between the burrs.

> Do the doser MDF or ROcky allow you to remove the ground bean bin to
> pour a mess of ground coffee into a drip machine?

No. But they DO allow you to dose grinds into another container, and to
pour the contents of that container into your drip machine. This is
what most doser-grinder owners do when making drip.

Personally, I my tastebuds not convinced a burr grinder is necessary for
drip coffee, possibly because I prefer to use a paper filter to
eliminate sludge. Some people say drip coffee made from beans ground in
a burr grinder tastes better than coffee made from beans ground in a
blade grinder, but I think the difference is small.

Rick