Kate Connally

Default Pork "Sauerbraten"????

Victor Sack wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote:
>
> > I wonder if there is such a thing as sauerbraten
> > made with pork instead of beef.

> Yes, in the Eifel region they make it with pork. BTW, I wonder why you
> think sauerbraten has to be made with beef. Here in the Rhineland, it
> traditionally used to be been made with horse meat and this is still
> often enough the case.

Well, that would be because all my German cookbooks
call for using beef and all the recipes I have come
across on the web call for beef. And even if some of
them called for horse I wouldn't make it or would
substitute beef. I don't want to eat horse.

> Feel free to use your favourite sauerbraten recipe, substituting lean
> pork for the meat it calls for.

Actually found out when I got home that my regular recipe
calls for pork as an alternative. Never really registered
with me before. It's the Sauerbraten auf Nordischer Art -
marinated in buttermilk and then cooked with red wine,
red wine vinegar, juniper berries, etc.

> > Not quite sure what the "braten" part means.

> 'Roast', including 'pot roast'.

Aha. Good to know. I was gonna look it up in my
German dictionary but now I don't have to. ;-)

Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally