Kate Connally

Default Pork "Sauerbraten"????

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:37:09 -0500, Kate Connally >
> wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I'm having friends for dinner over the holidays and one of them doesn't
> >eat beef.

> I don't change my whole lineup for someone who doesn't eat beef for
> some sort phobia or moral reason. I've never heard of a beef allergy.
> Any aversion this person has to beef must be a phobia of some sort.

No, I don't either, but this is a special case and I'm making
this dinner especially for this person. Normally I think of
what I want to make - for *me* - and if people don't like it
too bad. ;-) Anyway, of course, it's not an allergy or anything.
She just doesn't eat beef or lamb (don't know about goat, venison,
etc.). That's her perogative. Her mother, who is also coming, also
does not eat beef or lamb, etc., and currently is on a vegetarian
diet. I am not making any concessions for her. She can either eat
the pork (which she will probably do, she likes pork) or just eat
the other dishes. She knows there's no way I'm going to cook
vegetarian. I like meat. And the other thing is that pork is
my favorite meat anyway - and much cheaper than beef - so it will
be an interesting experiment to see how pork sauerbraten turns out.

> If I think my guests would apprecaite good beef, I'd cook beef, and to
> hell with anyone who won't eat it. Trying to make sauerbraten from
> pork is going way too far out the way to accomodate this single
> person.

Actually, it turns out my panic yesterday was all for nought.
When I got home I looked through my German cookbooks thinking
to find another pork recipe and lo and behold there it was! -
the very same recipe I always use for regular sauerbrated
actually said ". . . or pork shoulder"!!!! I couldn't believe
it! I must have registered it subconsciously but never knew
at a conscious level that pork was mentioned as an alternative
meat in the recipe. I've been making that recipe for 30 year!

So, as Roseanne Roseannadanna would have said, "Nevermind."

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”